Today, my sister and her husband are flying to San Diego to meet their new nephew and soak up some California sun, and my Mom and her husband are flying to Sacramento to visit family and then spend a few days exploring Lake Tahoe. Since I not-so-secretly wish I was going too, I thought I would share five places in the US that are on my bucket list to visit (in no particular order):
1. Big Sur, California. The McWay Falls, an 80-foot waterfall, in Big Sur is breathtaking and looks like a wonderful place to explore. A tip mentioned on Kate Miss’ blog: star gaze from the hot springs at Esalen! OK!
2. Charleston, South Carolina. Because, THE TREES! I know there are many beautiful things to see and fun things to do in Charleston, but THE TREES! If I lived in Charleston, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to build a fully functional, year-round tree house in one of these phenomenal trees.
3. Joshua Tree National Park. There are always beautiful photos of Joshua Tree popping up on my Instagram feed, and every time I see one I picture Dan and myself camping in a vintage Airstream in the middle of the desert cooking S’mores and taking pictures of the amazing landscape and sunsets. One day!
4. Austin, Texas. I really want to swim in Jacob’s Well in Wimberley, TX, which is about 45 minutes outside of Austin. And the Hamilton Pool, a natural swimming pole, in Austin is another beautiful swimming spot that you have to hike to, which would be really fun to do!
5. Nashville, Tennessee. I haven’t spent much time in the south, except for when visiting family in Houston, (which, I realize, is arguably the most “south” you can get, at least according to most Houstonians), but I haven’t spent much time outside Houston. The south has always seemed like an enigma to me, mostly because it’s wildly different than New England. I’d love to explore Nashville someday. The people seem laid back and soulful. Plus, I’ve been searching for a skull to decorate with for like ever, and I just know there’s one waiting for me in Nashville!
Are you planning any vacations this year? Any recommendations to add to this list?
PS. Bar Harbor and York Beach, Maine, and a gorgeous B&B in Brooklyn!
(Photo credits: Big Sur: top photo by Rob DeGraff, second photo by Kate Miss. Charleston: both images by KT Merry. Joshua Tree: first image via Brian Flaherty, second and third images by Nick Carver. Austin: first image unknown, second via Park Central Austin. Nashville: first image via Beth Kirby for Kinfolk, second image via the imogene + willie shop’s tumblr page.)